Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
This post may contain affiliate links.
Bust out your Instant Pot and make this easy Chicken Stroganoff recipe for dinner tonight. Chicken breasts, egg noodles, mushrooms and the best, most creamy sauce are combined for the ultimate comfort food!
After making the best beef stroganoff ever in an Instant Pot, I knew I couldn’t stop there! The very next week I made this Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff, and I was hooked.
We’ve now been eating Instant Pot beef or chicken stroganoff every week since then. It’s so good, easy to make and the entire meal is made in the Instant Pot, making clean-up a breeze!
Stroganoff, whether beef or chicken, really is the ultimate comfort food. A creamy sauce, that I could eat with a spoon, combined with noodles, meat and mushrooms. It’s a winning combination every time!
Table of contents
- Butter – I like to use unsalted butter, and salt the dish to taste along the way. Feel free to use unsalted or salted butter, your preference!
- Baby bella mushrooms – also called crimini mushrooms, these mushrooms have a great rich, earthy flavor. You could also use sliced white button mushrooms, if you prefer.
- Onion – diced yellow onions are preferred for this recipe.
- Garlic – fresh minced cloves will give you the best flavor.
- Salt + black pepper – to season the dish.
- Paprika – basic paprika or sweet paprika can be used in this recipe. I do not recommend using smoked paprika as it will alter the flavor of the dish.
- Chicken breasts – for this recipe, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. They contain more fat and calories, but also more flavor. If using frozen chicken, be sure to thaw it fully before dicing the chicken and adding it to this recipe.
- Wide egg noodles – or extra wide egg noodles, if that’s all they have at your local grocery store.
- Half and half – I do recommend using this over milk, as it adds a lot to the creaminess of the sauce.
- Sour cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley – to use as a garnish, totally optional!
I’ve included step by step photos below to make this recipe super easy to follow at home. For the full detailed recipe instructions and ingredient quantities, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: press the saute button on an Instant Pot, or electric pressure cooker. Once hot, add the butter and wait for it to melt. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic. Cook in the butter for 4-5 minutes.
Step 2: add diced chicken breasts, salt, pepper and paprika to the Instant Pot. Sear the chicken on all sides for 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: press the Keep Warm/Cancel button on the pressure cooker. Pour chicken broth in the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and pressure cook on high for 6 minutes. Once the timer beeps, wait 2 minutes, then release any remaining pressure before unlocking the lid.
Step 4: remove the lid and add egg noodles to the Instant Pot. Try to cover the egg noodles in the liquid as much as possible. If they’re not completely covered, that’s okay. Return the lid and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to pressure down for 5 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
Step 5: remove the lid and add the sour cream, half and half and parmesan cheese.
Step 6: stir to combine all of the ingredients. Serve immediately, or place the lid back on the Instant Pot and it can stay on the “keep warm” mode for up to 30 minutes.
- For a thicker stroganoff sauce, omit one cup of the chicken broth. You can also allow the noodles to sit in the sauce for an additional 20-30 minutes in the Instant Pot on warm. The noodles will soak up some of the sauce and starch from the pasta will release into the sauce and thicken it up. The last option is to use heavy cream, instead of half and half, to make the sauce.
- The best wine pairing for chicken stroganoff is a full bodied white, such as a chardonnay or chenin blanc. If pairing with a red wine, go with something light, like a pinot noir. A big red, such as a cabernet or zinfandel will overwhelm the chicken.
- Gluten-free: to make this recipe gluten free, substitute gluten-free egg noodles for traditional egg noodles. The other ingredients in the recipe are naturally gluten free.
- Vegetarian: substitute extra-firm tofu for the chicken to make it vegetarian.
- To store: leftover chicken stroganoff can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Always store it in an airtight container.
- To reheat: leftover stroganoff can be reheated on the stove or in the microwave. To reheat it on the stove top, add the stroganoff to a pot on the stove over medium heat and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until heated through. If using the microwave, place an individual portion in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- To freeze: I do not recommend freezing this recipe, as the dairy will separate and the noodles will loose their texture in the freezer.
What to serve with it
This dish can be served on it’s own, or with a salad or veggies on the side. I always serve the dish with a toasted baguette for dipping up any extra sauce. The sauce is so good, you can’t leave any behind! Try the chicken stroganoff with any of these sides.
- Garlic Green Beans
- Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Lemon Grilled Asparagus
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Broccolini
- Rosemary Focaccia Bread
More Instant Pot recipes
Try these other Instant Pot recipes for dinner this week!
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- French Onion Pot Roast
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Whole30 Instant Pot Thai Beef
- Instant Pot Beef Ragu
- THE BEST Instant Pot Risotto
Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms , sliced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese , grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley , chopped
- Turn the saute function on the Instant Pot on to “normal”, add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms, onion and garlic, saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add the diced chicken, salt, black pepper and paprika to the Instant Pot.
- Sear the chicken while stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.
- Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button on the pressure cooker.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and make sure the steam release is set to “sealing”.
- Press the “manual” button and set the pressure cooker to high pressure, then use the +/- buttons to set the pressure cooker to 6 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, wait 2 minutes, then release the remaining pressure before unlocking the lid.
- Add the egg noodles to the Instant Pot, make sure they’re almost all the way covered in liquid. Secure the lid back on the Instant Pot and make sure the steam release is set to “sealing”.
- Press the “keep warm/cancel” button, then the “manual” button and set the pressure cooker to high pressure, then use the +/- buttons to set the pressure cooker to 8 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, wait 5 minutes, then release any remaining pressure before unlocking the lid.
- Add the sour cream, half and half and parmesan cheese to the Instant Pot.
- Stir everything together then serve topped with fresh parsley.
- When removing the lid of the Instant Pot to add the egg noodles, try to cover the noodles in the liquid in the pot. Not all of the egg noodles will be covered and that’s okay.
- To make the recipe gluten free, substitute gluten-free egg noodles for traditional egg noodles. The other ingredients in the recipe are naturally gluten free.
- For a thicker stroganoff sauce, omit one cup of the chicken broth. You can also allow the noodles to sit in the sauce for an additional 20-30 minutes in the Instant Pot on warm. The noodles will soak up some of the sauce and release starch into the sauce that will thicken it up. The last option is to use heavy cream, instead of half and half, to make the sauce.
- Leftover chicken stroganoff can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Always store it in an airtight container.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.