Italian Drunken Noodles
This post may contain affiliate links.
An Italian spin on a classic Thai dish, Italian Drunken Noodles are made with wide egg noodles, tomato sauce, Italian sausage, fresh basil and peppers for an incredibly flavorful and easy dish made in just 29 minutes!
We love easy pasta recipes around our house! From One Pot Italian Sausage Shells and Cheese to Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Penne to One Pot Buffalo Taco Spaghetti, pasta recipes made in under 45 minutes are in regular rotation on our weekly menu!
Now added to the regular rotation, Italian Drunken Noodles!
Why do they call them drunken noodles?
I’ve heard many stories about where the name “drunken noodles” came from in Thai cuisine. Some say it came from a drunk person tossing several things from their refrigerator into one dish to soak up the alcohol. Another story goes that you need to have a drink with the noodles because the dish tends to be on the spicy side.
While the origination of the name is still up for debate, there is no alcohol found in traditional Thai drunken noodles, or in this dish for Italian drunken noodles.
Italian Drunken Noodles with Sausage and Peppers
To make this delicious Italian spin on the traditional Thai dish, you simply boil wide egg noodles until al dente, simmer Italian sausage with peppers, tomato sauce and Italian seasonings, then toss it all together with fresh tomato wedges and basil.
This recipe for Italian Drunken Noodles is on the spicy side. If you want to tone it down, substitute sweet Italian sausage for the spicy Italian sausage and omit the crushed red peppers.
Vegetarian Drunken Noodles
To make Vegetarian Drunken Noodles, omit the sausage and add an additional sliced bell pepper. Substitute vegetable broth for the beef broth.
Drunken Noodles Calories
This recipe serves 4 generous portions at 954 calories per serving, or you could divide it into 6 servings at 636 calories per serving. To cut down on the calories, substitute Italian Turkey Sausage for traditional pork sausage, this will save you 1000 calories in the dish and 250 calories per serving.
Tools & Pantry Items Used To Make This Italian Drunken Noodles Recipe:
- Dutch Oven
- Clip On Pasta Strainer (one of my favorite inexpensive kitchen tools!)
- Wide Egg Noodles (Mrs. Miller’s brand is a personal favorite & can be found online & in Sprouts grocery stores!)
- Sliced Pepperoncinis
- Italian Seasoning
- Crushed Red Pepper
Italian Drunken Noodles
- 16 oz wide egg noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup pepperoncinis, sliced
- 1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into 8 wedges
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions until al dente.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet, or dutch oven, over medium high heat, add the garlic, onion and pepperoncinis, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Spicy Italian Sausage, bell peppers, tomato sauce, beef broth, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper, simmer 8-10 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and tomatoes, toss to coat.
- Leave on the stove for 2-3 minutes, then remove, toss with the fresh basil and serve.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.