Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes are combined with coconut milk, cinnamon and fresh ginger for a healthy, vegan and paleo twist on traditional mashed potatoes. This side dish recipe is made in 30 minutes with just 4 ingredients!
It’s quick and easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner, but also perfect for a Thanksgiving or holiday side!
Table of contents
Thanksgiving dinner is filled with all sorts of delicious flavors, generally including mashed potatoes and some sort of sweet potato casserole. I’ve combined the two in a healthy and delicious dish that contains less than 1 gram of fat per serving and is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free!
This dish also happens to be easy to make for 2 people, or 20, and ready in just 30 minutes! Outside of being scrumptious and easy to make, this dish is also full of health benefits!
Ginger helps with cancer prevention, pain reduction and migraine relief. Sweet potatoes and cinnamon also have numerous health benefits. Sweet potatoes are a superfood containing tons of fiber, vitamin a and vitamin c, while the super-spice, cinnamon, lowers bad cholesterol and helps stabilize blood sugar. Now that’s something I can dig in to!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Sweet potatoes
- Coconut milk
- Fresh ginger
- Ground cinnamon
Step by step instructions
- Cut the sweet potatoes into cubes. I love the skins of sweet potatoes so I leave them on and just scrub the potatoes well before boiling. If you prefer, you can peel the skin off of the sweet potatoes before cubing.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water and boil for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain the water from the pot, then add the coconut milk, cinnamon and ginger.
- Mash well using an electric hand mixer or potato masher, until the texture of the sweet potatoes is smooth and creamy.
Frequently asked questions
- How long will leftover mashed sweet potatoes last in the fridge? These potatoes will stay good in the refrigerator, sealed in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- What can I do with leftover mashed sweet potatoes? You can simply reheat and eat the mashed sweet potatoes, or use them to make these delicious Sweet Potato Pierogies! You can also turn the leftovers into filling for these Sweet Potato Raviolis.
- How can I make the mashed sweet potatoes sweeter? Add 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or brown sugar to sweeten the potatoes.
- How do you keep mashed potatoes warm? If you want to make the sweet potatoes ahead of time and keep them warm until dinner, you can do so in the oven or in a slow cooker. In the oven, you’ll want to place the sweet potatoes in an oven-safe dish, cover tightly with foil and place in the oven set to “warm” for up to 1 hour. In a slow cooker, add the prepared mashed potatoes, then set it to warm. You can leave the mashed sweet potatoes in the slow cooker for up to 4 hours on warm. Stir the mashed potatoes before serving.
- How many people does this recipe serve? This recipe serves 4 people as a side dish. But it’s easy to double, or triple the recipe, to serve 8 or 12! To do so, simply hover over the “servings” in the recipe card below and adjust it from 4 to 8, to double the recipe. The ingredient amounts in the recipe card will automatically update to reflect the new serving amount.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Cut the sweet potatoes into cubes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water and cook for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain the water from the pot. Add the milk, ginger and cinnamon.
- Mash well.
- Spoon into a large bowl and serve.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.