Gluten Free Sweet Potato Sausage Balls
This post may contain affiliate links.
This delicious recipe for gluten free sausage balls combines creamy mashed sweet potatoes with homemade gluten free bisquick mix, cheddar cheese and sausage!
Sausage balls have been a holiday party favorite of mine since I was a little girl. My aunt used to make them at her house every Christmas Eve and I was hooked from then on!
Over the years I’ve made several different versions of sausage balls, include these popular Stuffing Sausage Balls and these Mexican Sausage Balls. But for this years party I decided to make gluten free sausage balls, with an added boost of creaminess from mashed sweet potatoes!
Not only was the result totally delicious, I always love having a gluten free appetizer on hand at parties to make sure everyone has a tasty dish to snack on!
To say they are a “crowd pleaser” would be the understatement of the century!
Table of contents
Ingredients you’ll need
- Gluten free Bisquick mix – when I first created this recipe in 2013, Bisquick did not have a gluten free baking mix, so I used the ingredients below to make my own at home! You can still do this, or you can now purchase Gluten Free Bisquick to make this recipe.
- Gluten free flour – I recommend a blend, like the one pictured above from Premium Gold.
- Baking powder
- Olive oil
- Cheddar cheese
- Sweet potato
- Pork sausage – Hot or mild. I use one of each for a slightly spicy flavor.
Step by step instructions
- Mix the homemade bisquick ingredients. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Add the sweet potatoes. Peel, cube, boil and mash 1 cup of sweet potatoes and add them to the bisquick mix.
- Add the ground pork sausage and shredded cheddar cheese in with the bisquick and mashed sweet potatoes. Mix until well combined.
- Form the mixture into balls. Use your hands to roll equal portions of the mixture into golf ball sized balls. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Cook the sausage balls. Bake for 15-18 minutes in a 375°F oven.
Frequently asked questions
- Can you make the sausage balls ahead of time? Yes, feel free to mix them up, form them into balls, then store them in a single layer on a sheet pan, covered with foil or plastic wrap. They can be stored uncooked in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Once cooked, leftover sausage balls can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- How do you reheat sausage balls? The sausage balls can be reheated in the oven or microwave. To reheat them in the oven, place them on a baking sheet and heat them in a 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes, or until warmed through. You can also reheat them on a plate in the microwave for 60-90 seconds.
- Can you freeze sausage balls before you cook them? You sure can, which makes them a great make-ahead party food. Simply freeze them in a single layer for two hours, then transfer them to a freezer-safe airtight container. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- Is Jimmy Dean sausage gluten free? Jimmy Dean all natural pork sausage is labeled gluten-free. While most pork sausage does not contain any ingredients with gluten, it’s always nice to have that gluten-free seal of approval on the packaging!
What to serve with them
These gluten free sausage balls are great on their own, but they’re also fabulous when paired with dips! Try any of these:
- Maple Syrup
- Sage Pesto
- Jalapeño Pumpkin Dip
- Homemade Ranch
Serve them along with the following recipes for a full appetizer spread:
- Candied Bacon
- Cranberry Goat Cheese Ball
- Pumpkin Hummus with Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
- Baked Brie Puff Pastry Bites
- Butternut Squash Apple Bruschetta
More gluten free appetizers to try
- Grilled Jalapeño Poppers
- Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- French Onion Dip Queso
- Cauliflower Nachos
- Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins
- Italian 5 Layer Dip
- Garlic Herb Bacon Wrapped Brie
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Sausage Balls
Homemade Gluten Free Bisquick Mix
- 3 cups Premium Gold Gluten Free Flour
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled, cubed, boiled, mashed
- 2 lb pork sausage
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the homemade bisquick mix in a large bowl.
- Add the mashed sweet potato, cheddar cheese and sausage.
- Form into golf ball sized balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
8 Comments on “Gluten Free Sweet Potato Sausage Balls”
Oh my goodness…these look like perfection. So many of my GF friends are going to love me for serving these at my next party!
Thanks Candace!! They’ll be perfect with Cabot Cheddar!! Mmmm 🙂