This post may contain affiliate links.
Mexican Meatloaf puts a spicy twist on a classic favorite with jalapenos, chili powder & cayenne pepper. This recipe is so delicious & easy to make!
While I didn’t grow up loving meatloaf, it’s now one of my favorites! This Mexican Meatloaf was the first meatloaf recipe I ever made back in 2012.
Since then, I’ve created this seriously scrumptious Buffalo Cheesy Meatloaf, the best ever Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf and a Heart Shaped Meatloaf. Because what says “I love you” more than a delicious loaf of meat? 😉
Once I realized that you could kick up a traditional meatloaf with tons of flavor and spice, I was totally down with the classic dish!
I love this Mexican Meatloaf for so many reasons. First, I love Mexican food, so adding Mexican flavors to any dish makes it a win in my book! It’s also loaded with veggies!
For the parents out there, you’re going to love how many veggies are hidden in this meatloaf. Most meatloaf recipes contain two pounds of ground meat. This recipe contains one pound of ground beef and one pound of veggies. Ground turkey can also be used in place of the ground beef for a lower calorie option.
This meatloaf is delicious leftover and you can even turn it into a scrumptious Meatloaf Hash for breakfast! It’s also easy to make gluten free and vegetarian. Check out the recipe notes below to learn how!
How to Make Mexican Meatloaf
Combine ground beef with chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Add eggs and bread crumbs as binding agents. Add roasted diced jalapenos and sauteed onions, bell peppers, carrots, celery and garlic. Finally, add cheddar cheese, sour cream, ketchup and worcestershire sauce.
Combine everything, then transfer to a loaf pan or square springform pan coated with cooking spray.
I love using the springform pan for meatloaves because it’s easier to remove from the pan after cooking. Also, all of the grease drips out of the pan onto the raised edges. When using a loaf pan, all of the grease will pool at the top of the pan.
Whichever pan you select, once the meatloaf is in the pan, place it in a 375°F oven for 25 minutes. While the meatloaf is baking, combine tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, water and chili powder together in a small bowl.
When the meatloaf comes out of the oven, spread this mixture on the top. Place the meatloaf bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
What sides go with Mexican Meatloaf?
This Mexican Meatloaf is pictured throughout this post with Mexican Mashed Potatoes. This is one of my favorite sides to serve with the meatloaf. It’s a fun twist on the classic combo of meatloaf and mashed potatoes!
Is Mexican Meatloaf gluten free?
This meatloaf recipe can be easily made gluten free by replacing traditional breadcrumbs with gluten free breadcrumbs.
Can I mix meatloaf ahead of time?
Yes, the meatloaf and topping can be made ahead of time, covered and kept separate in the refrigerator. Before serving, cook the meatloaf as directed, adding the topping after the first 25 minutes.
How long can you keep uncooked meatloaf in the fridge?
Uncooked meatloaf can be kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 days before cooking and serving.
Looking for more delicious Mexican recipes for dinner? Try these 5 favorites!
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- 20 Minute Enchilada Pasta
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the jalapenos on a baking sheet and into the oven. Roast the peppers for 5-7 minutes per side, or until black and bubbling.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and place in a ziplock bag. Zip closed and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the bag, peel off the skin, slice the pepper open and remove the stem and seeds, then dice the peppers and set aside..
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, carrots and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, black pepper and bread crumbs.
- Add the eggs, sour cream, ketchup, cheese, roasted jalapenos and sautéed vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Place the meatloaf mixture in a loaf pan or square springform pan coated with cooking spray.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is in the oven, combine the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, water and chili powder in a mixing bowl for the topping.
- After 25 minutes remove the meatloaf from the oven, drain any juices, then spread the tomato topping onto the meatloaf.
- Place back into the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.