This post may contain affiliate links.
This Taco Ring recipe is made with crescent rolls and filled with taco seasoned ground beef, cheddar cheese, bell peppers and onions. This easy recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners and made in under an hour!
The Taco Ring was introduced to me when I was 12 years old and my Mom took me to a Pampered Chef party. (And people wonder why I love cooking so much!) We made taco rings at the party and the recipe instantly became a favorite at the Bond house!
For this recipe, I kept it classic, but added two of my favorite taco mix-ins, onions and bell peppers!
Table of contents
Step by step instructions
- Make the filling. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add diced bell peppers and onions. Sauté for 5 minutes then add the ground beef and brown. Drain the grease from the ground beef, then add the taco seasoning, water and cheese. Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Line up the dough. To make it easy to assemble, start by placing a water glass in the middle of a baking sheet. Unroll the crescent dough and separate into 16 triangles. Arrange the unrolled crescent rolls around the glass with the large flat ends of the crescent rolls overlapping in the center up against the glass.
- Fill with beef. Spoon the ground beef mixture onto the crescent rolls, then slowly remove the glass, so that all of the ground beef mixture stays on the crescent rolls and does not fall into the opening in the center.
- Wrap up the ring. Wrap the crescent roll dough up and over the ground beef filling and tuck the dough under the beef in the middle.
- Bake it. Place the taco ring in a 375 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crescent rolls are golden brown.
- Serve it. Slice the ring, like you would a pie, then use a pie server or spatula to serve the pieces. To eat it, use a fork to dig right in!
Frequently asked questions
- Can you make it with ground turkey? Yes, you can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for the ground beef in this recipe.
- Can I make a vegetarian taco ring? You sure can, simply swap out the meat for soyrizo or meatless crumbles.
- What is a taco ring? A taco ring is made with 2 cans of crescent roll dough, shaped into a ring with a hole in the middle. It’s traditionally filled with taco seasoned ground beef and cheddar cheese.
- How long will leftovers stay good? Leftover taco ring will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- How do you reheat a taco ring? I recommend reheating leftover taco ring in the oven for the best texture. Reheating the taco ring in the microwave will cause the outside crescent rolls to get soggy. To reheat the dish in the oven, place slices of taco ring on a baking sheet and into a 400°F oven for 10-15 minutes, or until warm on the inside.
- How many people will this serve? You can easily slice the taco ring into 16 small pieces (between each crescent roll) to serve at a party for 16 people. If serving it as a meal, this taco ring serves 6-8 people.
- Can you make it ahead of time? The taco filling can be made ahead of time, but I recommend assembling the taco ring right before baking it, for the best texture. The taco filling can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the taco ring. There’s no need to add more time to the baking of the taco ring when using make-ahead taco filling.
What to serve with it
I always serve taco rings with sour cream, salsa and guacamole for dipping. You can also serve it with your favorite taco toppings or pair it with the following side dish recipes.
More Mexican recipes
If you love this easy taco ring recipe, you’ll definitely want to check out all of these quick and easy Mexican recipes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 8 count cans refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- diced jalapeños
- diced tomatoes
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the bell peppers and onion
- Sauté for 5 minutes then add the ground beef and brown.
- Drain the grease from the ground beef, then add the taco seasoning, water and cheese. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Form a ring with the crescent rolls by placing a small glass on the center of a baking stone then staggering the crescent rolls around the glass with the wide ends overlapping in the center.
- Add the ground beef mixture to the middle of the crescent roll ring around the glass.
- Remove the glass from the middle and roll the dough up and over the ground beef.
- Place the roll in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place a ramekin filled with optional toppings in the middle of the roll.
- Vegetarian Option: Substitute meatless crumbles or soyrizo for the ground beef to make this recipe vegetarian.
- Nutritional information provided does not include the optional toppings.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.