One Pot Cajun Pasta with Sausage and Peppers
This post may contain affiliate links.
One Pot Cajun Pasta with smoked sausage & peppers is an easy recipe, made in just 29 minutes! It’s cooked in a light & spicy tomato sauce for one scrumptious meal!
Today’s post is sponsored by my friends at Farmer John!
For this one pot cajun pasta recipe, I combined Farmer John Louisiana Hot Link Smoked Sausage, fresh peppers and a spicy Cajun tomato sauce.
Farmer John makes it easy to keep a well-balanced diet, while creating quick and easy meals. Their products are high-quality, versatile, packed with protein and delicious flavor!
This quick and easy 10 ingredient recipe is made in just 29 minutes. It’s light, flavorful and perfect for any night of the week.
How do you make Cajun Pasta?
Heat olive oil in a large pot on the stove over medium high heat. Add green bell pepper, red bell pepper, onion, garlic and smoked sausage. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
Add pasta shells, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, cajun seasoning and hot sauce. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
There are two keys to the perfect one pot pasta.
- The liquid to pasta ratio.
- Making sure the pasta is covered in the liquid.
If there’s too much liquid, it will water down the dish. If there’s not enough liquid, the pasta won’t get cooked.
In this recipe, I’ve perfected the liquid to pasta ratio. The pasta is fully cooked and you’re left with an incredibly flavorful tomato sauce/broth.
The sauce for this dish is made only using diced tomatoes, hot sauce, cajun seasoning and chicken broth. This keeps it light, healthy and on the thinner side. I promise you’ll want to drink this sauce right out of the bowl!
The second key to making the perfect one pot pasta is making sure all of the pasta is covered in liquid. To do this, I move the peppers, onions and sausage to one side of the pot. I add the pasta to the other side of the pot, then pour the broth over the pasta. This allows me to make sure all of the pasta gets covered.
I also recommend using a stock pot or more narrow pot vs. a wide pot or dutch oven. In a stock pot, you can move all of the pasta to the bottom of the pot. With the pasta at the bottom, you’ll be sure it gets fully covered in the liquid.
Is Cajun Pasta spicy?
Yes, this Cajun pasta dish is spicy. You can easily tone it down by reducing the amount of hot sauce or omitting it altogether. Without any hot sauce this dish will have a very mild amount of spice.
What to serve with Cajun Pasta
I served this cajun pasta with a crispy baguette to soak up all of that amazingly flavorful sauce! You could also serve it with a simple salad with Cajun ranch dressing on the side.
For more WhitneyBond.com recipes featuring Farmer John pork products, check out these delicious dishes!
- Bacon Tomato Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Honey Pulled Pork Tacos
- Pork Chops with Cherry Balsamic Sauce
- Slow Cooked Pork Ragu
- Dr Pepper Pulled Pork Sliders
- Pork Chop Suey
One Pot Cajun Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups bell peppers, green or red – cut into 1” cubes
- 1 cup red onion, cut into 1” cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 links Farmer John Louisiana Hot Link Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 3 cups medium pasta shells
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large pot or stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add the bell peppers, onion, garlic and sliced Farmer John Louisiana Hot Link Smoked Sausage, sauté 4-5 minutes.
- Add the pasta shells, chicken both, diced tomatoes, cajun seasoning and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and stir.
- Replace the lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.