Whole30 Turkey Taco Salad
This post may contain affiliate links.
Taco seasoned ground turkey is cooked with peppers, onions, and tomatoes in this delicious and healthy taco salad. This easy recipe is made in just 20 minutes. It’s also gluten free, dairy free and Whole30 compliant!
This recipe is not only perfect for the Whole30 diet, it’s also going to become a regular weekly menu favorite!
I’m all about the easy recipes made in 29 minutes or less! I also live in Southern California, so I’m all about that taco life. This recipe combines both a quick and easy recipe and my love of tacos.
I always have ground turkey on hand. It’s so versatile and can use it to make so many recipes including Greek Turkey Tacos, Buffalo Turkey Meatball Subs, Turkey Chili Spaghetti Squash, and Italian Polenta Turkey Casserole, just to name a few!
When paired with the right ingredients you’ll have so much taco flavor, you won’t even miss the shell! It’s also easy to customize this recipe to fit your dietary needs and preferences.
For this recipe to be Whole30, you’ll want to find a Whole30 approved hot sauce. Cholula and Tabasco do not contain sugar, or other ingredients not allowed on the Whole30 diet. If you’re not on the Whole30 diet, feel free to use your favorite hot sauce brand.
For the taco seasoning, I always make my own at home so I know exactly what’s in it. I make a triple batch of the seasoning and keep it in a mason jar in my pantry, so I’ll always have it on hand!
Table of contents
Step by step instructions
- Cook the veggies. Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in the diced onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Cook the meat. Add the ground turkey and break it up with a spatula. Brown the meat, stirring occasionally until the turkey is cooked through.
- Add the flavor. Mix in the taco seasoning, hot sauce, and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Build the salads. While the meat and veggies are cooking, divide the lettuce between four bowls. Top with the turkey taco meat, tomatoes, hot sauce, diced onion, avocado and cilantro.
- Enjoy! Serve with a lime wedge for juicing over the salad.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I prep this recipe ahead of time? Yes you can! Simply cook up the veggies and turkey and store it until you’re ready to make the salads. Either reheat in a skillet, in the microwave, or enjoy it cold.
- What is taco seasoning made from? Each recipe varies, but my homemade taco seasoning recipe uses a blend of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Are taco shells Whole30? Unfortunately tortillas are not Whole30 approved. But good news, taco salads are one of the best ways to enjoy all your favorite taco flavors without the shell.
What to serve with it
Dress up this healthy Whole30 Turkey Taco Salad with extra flavor from any of the following Whole30 approved recipes.
- Creamy Avocado Salsa
- Cilantro Pesto
- Pico de Gallo
- Spicy Cilantro Sauce
- Creamy Vegan Chipotle Sauce
- Or use some Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice as a base for a burrito bowl!
More Whole30 recipes
Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to skip on the flavor! Check out these amazingly delicious and nutritious recipes.
- Grilled Steak Skewers with Balsamic Herb Marinade
- Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Guacamole Stuffed Chicken
- Sweet Potato Skins with Sage Pesto and Bacon
- Balsamic Salmon Zoodle Bowls
- Whole30 Eggplant Roll Ups
- Mushroom Spinach Chicken
Whole30 Turkey Taco Salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups diced onion, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 lb Jennie-O Ground Turkey
- 2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning, click link for recipe
- 2 tbsp hot sauce, divided
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 1 cup diced onion, garlic and jalapeno, saute 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook through.
- Add the taco seasoning, 1 tbsp hot sauce and diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile divide the lettuce between four bowls.
- Top with the taco turkey, tomatoes, 1 tbsp remaining hot sauce, ¼ cup remaining diced onion, avocado and cilantro.
- Serve with a lime wedge for juicing over the salad.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.